PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do with a Walt?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 16:41
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts
The "Walts" seem to be on the increase then. I can think of four whom I am aware of.

The first used to work with my father--picture always in the local rag, respected war "hero" in Burma--charity worker etc-until the day a new manager arrived-who had been there, and not UK based as was the case with our "hero"---a word to the local rag--and endex the "hero".

The second was somebody who er, not only flew as gunner in Mitchell's over Angola, had a golf handicap around par ( but always declined a game when offered the chance-strange that--for a golfer ) but was also the only F/ E in the world without an "O" licence---given that there is a slight difference between a type rated F/E--and a flying spanner ! Used to keep us entertained on nights though

The third was quite recent. Thought there was a chance of doing some business with him so we met. Went straight into his career history --ex Army in this case--and then proceeded to tell me about his gliding exploits. Casually mention the names "x" "y" an "z"--the GSA being a small world after all---and got the "yeah, know them well " routine--which was odd because when I called them later----never heard of the guy. A bit of digging revealed a participation in the GSA, but not "quite to the level" he wished to impress.

The fourth is somebody who claims to have an award--it just doesn't appear in the London Gazette--must be a typo error of course on their part. His latest incarnation is as a "former middle ranking ex Air Force officer". I feel though, the ground may well be just about to open beneath him.

What to do with a Walt is another question. Once they are blown, tempting though it is to expose them, the best course is to ignore----loudly. If they are unstable enough to create another persona, then there is every chance they could react badly and, if they haven't actually harmed anyone in their deception, why risk the chance they could harm themselves as a result of being exposed.

That said, I wish I could name no's 2 and 3 on here though ---