PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 28th Nov 2006, 14:17
Champagne Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused.....???

I am confused.
Let me get this right.
We are going to take ZERO hour human beings. Start with training them to fly a small aeroplane, to the point of a PPL. Then we give them a twin conversion. Then we give them a night rating. We then train them in a classroom with respect to what? A commercial licence? We make them sit the commercial licence exams? (South Africa) Then we tell them; you now do all your further training in a A320 simulator. (Oops, sorry, I forgot:a 340 simulator. Remember, they will NEVER be alone with the captain in a two crew environment.......There will ALWAYS be a SF/O present)
Now they have +- 270 TOTAL hours. Mmmm.
Now here's the catch. Please someone kick me against the head, HARD!
WAKEUP!! We don't want people who have on their own: Done the PPL, night rating, multi rating, written the commercial exams and passed them, written the ATPL exams and passed them, all on their own, now have +- 250 -300 total time on REAL aeroplanes, but are still either instructing in the circuit, dropping parachutists, flying in the swamps...etc etc BECAUSE:?????????
Oh sorry again, I remember: These candidates DON"T EXIST!! There are NO PILOTS out there!
We don't want these guys, to then make them MPL's because??????????????
Please help me understand the difficult nuances of company politics and business politics that say we need zero hour candidates of our choice?????