PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hangerage or parking in Oxfordshire
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 09:42
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re Hangarage of Wood and Fabric aircraft.

I kept my Veep tied down outside for nearly a year with no problem what-so-ever. I covered the open cockpit with a well fitted tonneau but decided against coveringthe wings and fuselage as flapping sheets can damage them. In the winter I painted all the exposed metalwork with clean engine oil and the aeroplane suffered no ill effects at all. In fact I would go as far as to say it faired better than many aircraft I have seen parked inside some sweaty hangars! I've walked into the Hangars at Goodwood before to find the aeroplanes dripping in condensation! The only real concern is UV light. If the outside parked aeroplane was PROPERLY silver doped and not too dark coloured then it will be fine. If however, you can see light through the fabric then it will not last long in strong sunlight. Wood is a natural material that can handle its moisture change/cycle well, but does not like continual damp or immersion. Therefore make sure all the drain eyes in the wing bays / fuselage are there, and clear.

SS