PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why is everyone flightcrew leaving the military?
Old 27th Nov 2006, 20:40
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipster
Thing
Absolutely! I miss like crazy the really great people with whom I served but I am so glad I'm out - all the politics and back-biting are a thing of the past. Sure, 'politics' happen outside as well but no-one is asking me to get myself killed just to promote their career while telling me it is my duty to Serve God, Country, government or the 'greater good'.
The grass is a different shade of green but it is lush and long. However, my family is the main beneficiary of my improved lifestyle and hence we are all much happier.
It seems that, presently, loyalty in the Services is a one way street ....... and a juggernaut is coming towards you! I took the decision to get out of the way.

Hasn't it always been so? I went, without ever moaning (unlike some) to wherever I was sent. I did a good job, I never knowingley let the side down, I put in that bit extra. I knew what I wanted to do when I had finished my 22, and I knew I wanted to get the business off the ground before I left. So at about the 2 year point I went to see the chief clerk and asked if I was going to be sent away long term could I volunteer to do it now because if possible I wanted my final 12 months or so to be relatively hassle free. Note I said long term, I was still doing Aviano regularly and wasn't trying to shirk that responsibility. He made a few enquiries 'No, you'll be OK' he said in a nutshell. So 8 months before I'm due out, I'm in Norway (still being a good lad) and my OC rang me from UK to say I was going to the Falklands in two months.

I know they have every right to do whatever they want. I went, didn't complain, but from that day forth I'd finished with the Air Force. It was the only thing I ever asked for in 22 years, and they couldn't even manage that. I was supposed to have the 'leaving interview' with the CO before I was officially out, but I was never asked and I didn't bother asking why, not out of anger, I had already left in my head and thought it was a pointless exercise. I've no doubt it was a duty that he could do without as well. I went round with my blue card on the last day and clearly remember thinking that 22 years of service didn't even warrant a whisper from anybody. It was just a bit sad really. I felt betrayed deep down I think. Proabably shouldn't have been as bloody naieve to think that the services were 'different.' But there you go.

Last edited by thing; 27th Nov 2006 at 20:55.