PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance Scam Warning
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2006, 07:56
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was once offered a job (that I accepted and left the next day) by a company like this. Un-ethical doesn't even get there really.

We sold advertising space, sorry, "sponsorship" in a magazine distributed around childrens hospitals. The books were't actually that bad with games and puzzles etc in them. There was also a lot of this sponsorship, that started at £85 for a small box. We were given a photocopy of a page of the yellow pages and told to get on with it, at least 3 deals per page or else!! The management used to totally ignore, not even a blind eye, totally ignore some of the sales practices that the staff employed.

I was put with a guy for a days training. He used to introduce himself as "Dr ....." and he was calling between operations to try and gain some sponsorship for this worthwhile project, signing off with "well I have to go now as there is a little lad coming to theatre for ..........(insert horrible disease of your choice), can I put you down for half a page then?"

The only medical qualifications this muppet had was his boy scout first aid badge!!! I left after that day, I happen to like sleeping at night. The total profit was enormous as thousands of the books were printed at a cost of pennies each, whilst it actually raised about 50k of profit. And at least 2 per week were knocked out! That company is no longer with us, but there are a lot of others just like them, run by sharks after a quick buck. Beware, the air ambulance is a great cause, if you want to support them, send a donation!!!