PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From a Boeing to an Airbus - Pilot Point of View
Old 27th Nov 2006, 02:24
Ag2A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Ladies & Gents,

Had a mini- A v B forum in the crew lounge today. I would prefer as my dream-ship ( if i was allowed only one) a cross between the B757 and the A320, the performance & reliability of a RR powered 757 with the ease of the Airbus FBW - sidestick, traytable, alpha prot - the works. The current Bus line:- A320/A321, A340-300 are a bunch of bloody optimised gliders!;no climb performance or extra power, Airbus forgot the power and went for fuel efficiency; forever stuck in the 320 bumping around in the tops at FL 390 while 737-700s are above in the clear at FL410 ARGhhh!. The 73-300/500 & 75/67 reminds you that the glass was grafted into an existing design as an afterthought.

Personally think the G550, G-xpress & Falcon DX both out class A&B products, wouldnt mind if Airbus & Boeing took a page from Dassault and intergated the Falcon's EASy concept on their respective types, but as we know no airline is going to spend all that money just yet to equip their fleets.

The A vs B arguement will continue.

Ah! talk of true airplanes- taildraggers- The Swift is a pussycat compared some of the others i have encountered. What i fly at work, some days comes close to the fun i have in my own airplanes but can never equal it : - every now and again i steal a couple of circuits in what ever my brothers arent using that day in the Ag business : PT-6 & R1820 S-2R Thrushes, failing that is a hop in the Stearman,Pitts or C-140. I try to find a bus driver who hasnt flown anything else for awhile, just to remind them of how "REAL" airplanes fly; Stick & Rudder, No FD or AP, and if they make a fuss, the airspeed gets covered too!

Flying both the 73 & Bus never has given me the same feeling of joy, as either flying in the Army or cropdusting. Ah the joy of hauling 4000lbs of fertilizer in an 1400HP Thrush and rocketing off from a freshly cut 2200ft grass levee at first light. Ah! the rumble of the engine;cool blue flame and the sheer acceleration pulling 55 Hg of manifold; no checklist; no talking on the radio, just me and the airplane and it a extension of my thoughts!

But Alas, as stated we are not paid to have fun only ensure the safe and efficient operations of our respective airlines. Airbus has its sore points; the ECAM and others. Ah yes! my favourite Pre -Sim sleeping aid the FCOMs - poorly written yes, but usually asleep after browsing Vol3 - Supplemental proc.

Last edited by Ag2A320; 27th Nov 2006 at 03:16.