PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Shortage?
Thread: Pilot Shortage?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2006, 00:57
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyerire
Based on this i believe we are at the very start of a bright period for pilot recruitment and barring any major world events the industry should keep on growing.
A very profound analysis, flyerire.
Additionally, it is simply to find out that there must be a shortage, or if not yet, it will come.

Input of new pilots has decreased since the recession in the early 90's, after 9/11. Lots of classical airlines have seized operation or at least their cadet scheme. Every year the old baby boomer captains go into pension. They have started their career in the 60/70's when there was the first expansion of civil aviation, so a big drain.

Although there is a huge number of people willing to pay for it, there will be never as much as there used to be when it was paid by the airline.

Airline industry is expanding at a breathtaking pace.

Ergo there must be a demand. As it has been said mainly for experienced captains, with several thousands of hours. Because of the reasons I stated above, there might be a lot of old and middle aged guys, but those with 5-10 years of service should be rare, and they are the ones the airlines need (for upgrading and cheap CMDs).

my 2 cents,
Dani