PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 19th Feb 2005, 13:04
The Rotordog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two issues:

1. Wannabes from other careers always look at the positives of flying for a living and never, ever look realistically at the bad points. Oh, they *say* they do, but they don't. It's just human nature to accentuate the positive. And there is a huge, multi-faceted downside to commercial flying. Much of it has been discussed here before - the low pay, the time away from home, the very early and late hours, the lack of benefits, the pressure to fly, the maintenance issues...just to name a few.

And that's not even taking into consideration the challenges of flying the helicopter! Most pilots egotistically think that they can handle any situation thrown at them or task that is asked of them. Wrong! The accident reports are chock-full of instances where the pilot's skill was not up to the ability required. It's not just about moving the controls and knowing *how* to do a confined-area approach, say. A monkey can be taught the procedure.

But what do you do when you get to a site landing and you're circling overhead, lump in your throat, trying to figure out a safe way *in* to this ridiculously tight place that the customer says we've landed at "plenty of times with that other pilot," and you haven't even begun to consider that you won't even be able to depart with the load you've got on right now because your brain at this point can't think that far ahead... And so you get it on the ground without bending it, your passengers all depart, leaving you alone with the bird to fend for yourself, and as the engine cools down you begin to look around at what you've just gotten yourself into and you realize that your departure out of this Godforsaken hover-hole will be after dark and you go, "Oh, ****..."

And that's just *one* scenario. Yet one that I've been faced with numerous times in my career. Oh yes, I've been there.

Flying is not all black-and-white decisions. It's nice to sit in our computer chairs and pontificate that all cockpit decisions are easy. They are not. And sometimes the decisions we make require incredible knowledge, experience and skill. Is this a "downside" to flying for a living? Perhaps not, although it is something that must be taken into consideration - in a broad sense, sometimes the things that are asked of you will make you very, VERY uncomfortable, and that's not a good place to be. Especially when your life (and that of your passengers) is on the line.

2. The other thing that career-switchers don't acknowledge is that if you're bored in one field, you'll likely be bored in another. There is no magic career-pill that will make your life fulfilling and exciting. For sure, flying for a living can be viscerally thrilling. It is a combination of technical and artistic demands that challenge and reward both sides of the brain. But make no mistake, at the end of the day it is just a JOB. Yes, I love the feeling of watching the world drop away as I pull pitch. No, I don't love the bull**** that goes along with the job anymore. It gets friggin' old.

I always say: If you want to fly, fly! Don't come on here asking for justification or rationalization, or reasons pro or con for there are none. (Or at least a "pro" for me might not be so for you - something helicopter pilots seem to forget.) We who do it for a living are all a little bit crazy. We have to be. We know that the decision to pursue this as a career is not a logical, sane one. It is fraught with peril and uncertainty and there are no guarantees. But for most of us there was no choice. Most of us didn't sit down, all calmly and seriously analytical, weighing the advantages and disadvantages of our possible career choices. We fly because...well, just because. If we thought about it too much we probably wouldn't.

And if you have to think about it too much, you probably shouldn't.