PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 7th Jan 2005, 12:06
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert, that's a very good point, but it can be taken in many ways. Since life is short, one might say, let's live it to the full, and do what we really want to do. Who wants to end up at 70, comfortably off, but looking back and saying, "If only I'd become a helicopter pilot; that was what I always wanted to do". On the other hand, you and others present the other side - desperate for work, no security, no pension, long after the novelty of flying has worn off.

It's a difficult one, and there is no easy answer, and no way is right for everyone. The sensible option, as you say, is probably to make sure you don't burn all your boats or bridges. You made sure you could retire early and then fly. I kept on the day job, albeit parttime. I don't know about you, but I'll never be rich, but I won't starve either...and I can tell CFIs who hate my guts to go to hell.

I see people who won't do anything remotely dangerous, who never take a risk, who worry about their pension funds at age 20, who stick in the same old job because it has good prospects even though it bores them silly. I have friends my own age who count the years and days to retirement. Most of my extended family are like that - they look at me in amazement...but do I see envy in their eyes too. I'm the black sheep...but do they really want to be like me?

You need to consider the future, I agree. But who wants to die without ever having lived?