PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 6th Jan 2005, 15:50
hencloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good post from Simon re continuing in consulting. If i could do it all again i would keep the cash and do something more rewarding. i dont mean the flying, that is very rewarding but if I worked as hard as i did to get my PPL and instructors in any other industry i would probably be a millionaire by now.

Also some people point to instructing as being the path to success. It simply isn't, even with an instructor rating you have to put up with the devil worshipping employers, crap pay and unsocial hours.

Bare this in mind, people like Simon are not lucky, they are sensible to have kept a grip on reality and maintained a career outside of aviation, this will bare fruit when he is 50 and has a pension, a decent house and a loving familly, these should not be underestimated.

Pursuance of a dream as crazy as a career flying helicopters can take that all away. That is why only the utterly selfish will truly succeed. Present company excluded of course.

Sorry to sound bitter but i have had some bad experiences and been stabbed in the back on several occassions. But these are real experiences and I am not alone so they should be taken into consideration before entering the dragons layer of helicopter flying.

This industry is not about flying helicopters it is about lying, cheating and being utterly selfish. If you are good at those things then you will succeed.

I used to look up to pilots, now I just feel slightly sorry for them.