PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 5th Jan 2005, 21:59
Simon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I earned my PPL (H) back in 1997. My ambition was clear and my goal was to achieve a career as a helicopter pilot. I desperately wanted to turn my flying into a career cos I loved flying, I really loved aviation as a system. It very much fascinated me, and what else could I become that would put me in the middle of this fantastic system. However before continuing with the next stage of my training (CPL) I was offered employment within my other profession at the CAA. I got involved in very exciting projects within the aviation industry and had a fantastic opportunity working closely with operators, legislators, providers within the industry. Before I knew what happened time flew by and now eight years after achieving my PPL (H) I find myself working as a management consultant with descent salary, being well respected in my firm as well as with my clients (primarily CAA and other aviation related industries).

Still today, I think about flying almost everyday. Of course I keep my PPL (H) current and fly as often as I can (>12 hrs year) - which is too few hours unfortunately. I keep thinking and dreaming about flying especially when I drive home after work.

I’m not too old (30), I got the funds to do the full course but I’m not going too. Not because I don’t love flying, believe me I really do - but simply cos the incentives are too low for me to do anything other than what I do today.

I do enjoy doing what I do (consulting), I do like the people I work with, I enjoy being well paid (eih - who doesn’t!) - I don’t want to trade my current career away - I just want to fly helicopters more than I do now and preferably in a professional fashion. (Keep in mind me only being a simple PPL)

I do have a family, wife and two small kids which I care of tremendously. This is also something I will not be willing to jeopardise by pursuing any dream of mine. My helicopter pilot friend keeps telling me that I should be more selfish and go for it, but I can’t – my love to my family is by far much greater than my love for a dream.

By now, I have come to terms and accepted the fact that that I’m not going to become a professional helicopter pilot. This fact doesn’t make me less happy, It doesn’t sober me anymore. The only thing that’s really changed is that I now miss my dream of becoming a pro pilot.

Simon10