PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 5th Jan 2005, 12:40
hencloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been a lot of good points made on this thread. I would like to add the following. If you have no wife, no children and plenty of money then go for it and completely dedicate your life to it, no half measures and you might end up doing the odd job here and there for small amounts of cash. Eventually you might be able to make a living out of it. Eventually! but it might be time to retire by the time you do.

There is one thing that has not been covered in the threads which actually might be the one deciding factor in whether you make it or not and that is politics. There is so much rediculous politics in this small industry.

You have to ask youself this question; would you put up with the following if you were thinking logically and without the rose tinted spectacles that most wannabees seem to wear?

Would you take a job or enter an industry where

1. There is no risk to the employer. He only pays you when you fly, if you fly. You have to work weekends for no additional pay.

2. Consequently there is no job security. If someone else better walks throught he door there is no loyalty, you are out.

3. In what other industry would you work all hours for nothing. Yes you might spend the whole weekend cleaning the hangar while it rains outside for nothing.

4. there is no pension, no benefits.

5. Flying is the best thing ever but with all the crap that goes with it I am surprised that anyone continues to fly.

My advice, stick with the money, do it as a hobby or you will only end up bitter and dissapointed.

It's a mugs game.