PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 11th Oct 2004, 17:01
heedm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I know what you're asking, Freddie. At the start many have it as their sole goal to become a ######. Whether it's helicopter pilot, doctor, lawyer, baker, astronaut, etc. doesn't matter. They have a goal and reaching that goal is all that is pursued. Their pursuit is defining their life.

Others will have met enough goals or have balanced their lives sufficiently that the career or at least the attainment of their goal, is just another facet of their life that gives them added depth. Their pursuit is enriching their life.

You're implying that helicopter pilots must first define their life with the goal of hovering solo (or whatever milestone you choose as defining helicopter pilot) and thereafter will follow a "normal transition" to find that being a helicopter pilot is now enriching their life.

I think that happens often but is a narrow view of what would be seen across the industry as a whole. One could view the life enricher as someone who has a complex life and is not fully focused in being a helicopter pilot. The life definer gives 100% to helicopter pilotage and is perhaps the one you want in the front seat.

In the end, I don't think it matters. Whatever your reasons for being here, when flying give all that you have.