PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 19th Aug 2004, 18:22
HeliMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would stay on the job. Find a better position that you like better. Keep that civil service retirement. I have 21 years on the department, and looking back, I do not know where it went. But if I wanted, I "could" retire and still have another 20+ years flying, with the knowledge of that retirement waiting for me. And if I somehow lost my medical, I still have a good paying job.

I was lucky and fly for my department. If your department has an aviation unit, try and get into it. Or transfer to another one that does and work your way to it (some departments will transfer your years to them for retirement consideration).

Otherwise, like several people I know, do your ratings, and fly on the side. A little hard work and after awhile you may have a job waiting for you. Satisfy that flying need with 10-20 hours a week on the side teaching or charters, and still get that retirement. Good chance you will be flying turbines in a short time. Remember, lots of employers like cops in responsible jobs .