PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 5th Aug 2004, 02:36
Benjonat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DETFIVEO,

I have read your post, and the replies of those that follow, and can sympathise from where you are coming from. I am 37 years of age, married with 3 little ones and have been a police officer for 17 years. I have faced the same questions as you, and I am still trying to work out exactly where I should focus my direction. I hold Commercial Rotary & Fixed Wing licences, Fixed Wing Instructor rating, Instrument Rating (fixed wing) and have a Degree in Aviation Studies. I am also well paid, and can look forward to a government pension at age 55, so I have a few years left in the job. I have a number of friends who fly for a living and love every minute of it, although none of them enjoy the security of the position that I hold. I would love to fly for my own department, but the 1000 hour minimums that they require seem almost impossible to achieve without throwing away my job. I have decided that the only way it is going to happen is if I do something about if for myself, as lots of people can give you advice, but at the end of the day, you have to do what makes you happy. My Wife is extremely supportive of my goals and that is probably the most important factor in my decisions.

I am going to try and focus on gaining the next 260 hours that will qualify me for commencing a rotary Instructors Rating, and maybe start building those hours. Good luck with your decision, feel free to PM me as I am interested to hear how it all goes for you.

Benjonat