PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 4th Aug 2004, 15:05
TDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man...don't be foolish!!! I left the Air Force after ten years as a pilot and have spent the last 13 years in Commercial Helicopter Ops (from offshore work to EMS to airline work). The industry is probably one of the most difficult to break into because you don't have any experience and the smaller companies and jobs are the only ones that may hire you due to insurance reasons. I regret now not having a military pension like many of my "just retiring buddies" from the Air Force because I did exactly what you are proposing. It will be many years before you get up to a stable salary like the one you have now and unfortunately the risk of losing your medical as you get older (believe it or not it happens) or just never achieving a position that will give you sufficient income so you can retire comfortably is very high! Quite frankly, (some will disagree with me) the industry pays poorly in general and has not kept up with other occupations. Sorry to dampen your dreams...but the love of flying is not worth giving up what you have achieved in your police career or risking your families future for an industry that seems glamorous from the outside. Ten years is nothing- so finish it off!