PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 8th Jul 2004, 22:26
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPF#1 is quite correct. You do sound VERY new 'goaround7'.

You make yourself sound that way by a couple of comments like "buy a couple more ratings" WTF would you do that?

It sounds like you are trying to make yourself more employable. It is folly to try and argue with someone who has a lot more experience dealing with life as a pilot.

This is a very very very difficult industry to get into and if you are close to, or over 30 you better think very carefully about choosing to spend a lot of money on a feeling.

Getting a start in this industry is not about 1yr of training, its about the 3-4yrs of poverty, post that delightful time.

Banjo, ask yourself if you have the stamina to compete with a 21yr old who can, and will; hold on, grovel, work for nothing, exist on a shoestring and sleep in his car to eventually end up with a job. If you cannot deal with that then invest the income somewhere else.

Then ask yourself if it is worth your marriage, children, girlfriend, stability of life, retirement and friends.

If you think you are going to be working in a city, investigate the industry some more.

If you think you will have time off in the summer, investigate some more.

If you think that it will be easier to have a resemblence of a normal life at 3000, 5000 or 10000hrs, investigate some more.

If you think you will have a pension and retirement when you are old, investigate the industry.

Another reply had this comment in it:

"And when you get that Job be it flying into Silverstone, filming, pleasureflying, wedding parties pipeline inspection etc.
You know it was worth it and as I said earlier you will not have to work another day."

Sorry, but if that is all the english industry has to offer then I seriously advise you to spend your money in Africa or Canada. Described above is a list of very very boring tasks for a pilot.

Oh the stories we could all tell.....eh guys!!

...perhaps I should start a thread on the subject of "getting a start" stories??