PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 8th Jul 2004, 15:50
Watchoutbelow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ga-Ga and starry eyed
Is a quote from PPF1, but I see it every day

Its not aimed directly at you, but looking back I realised I fell into that bracket aswell, fortunately I had no dependants, but have seen A FEW people loose all their savings, and wives etc over training for this industry, then to be left with nothing cause they can't afford to finish all the ratings or meet minimum requirements.

I genuinely hate seing it happen, the thought of quiting your secure job with a pension, selling your house, moving wife and kids to a new country/environment lifestyle so you can live out your dream, may seem romantic, but their is Rarely a silver lining.
Getting a job as a Flight Instructor is not a success story, no matter what way a flight school tries to dress it up.
Getting a job as a F/O in the middle east isn't any better either.

Saying you are familiar with risk analysis so you understand what you are getting yourself in for, is just comparing apples and oranges.
If you are one of those stubborn type people who thinks the song "I did it my way" was written about you, fair enough, role the dice hope it works out, but if you have a moral concience and think of your family's future, if not your own.
I would advise you take on board what people who have been there and done that have to say, and not to dismiss them as grumpy old bitter fools who don't realise how good they have it!

And Whirly what type of Pilots salaries are you referring to?
Most Flight Instructors make $15 an hour, some would be lucky to get 2/3 hours flying a day if the weather is good, while sitting around 12 hours, if weather is bad, tuff crap.
After spending all that money on training, and going through all the hoops, and all the commitment do you not think that deserve a small bit more then a Mcdonalds drive thru service assistant?