PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 8th Jul 2004, 10:31
Banjo George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no, my thread is falling out with each other .........

Well, I have to respect the views of all the posts on this 'cos I know diddley about the industry, and in a way, a bit of disagreement has churned up views that are very useful and incisive.

I think I love to fly 'cos I've always loved every minute of the little flying I've done. As I said before however, I think my goal is to be as professional and SAFE as I can be. Sure it would be nice to stand in the pub with aviator shades and glinting teeth, but that's a bonus really. I'm long enough in the tooth and been round the block enough NOT to be blown away by terms like 'glamour' etc. To me, it will simply be enough of a challenge to pass everything (and pass it WELL I hope) and then get a blooming job.

Regarding money, well I take the points about it being a professional industry etc, and remuneration should be commensurate. Taking a different view however, and a slightly 'lefty' one at that, one could argue that people should be paid more for doing the ****e jobs in life - cleaning bogs, sweeping roads, looking after old folks etc. It's the lucky people who've actually had a 'choice' of career. I know life ain't like that, but it's markets that dictate wages, not ability or experience. If there were only 20 heli pilots in the UK, they'd all get paid shedloads. The supply and demand does NOT favour heli pilots, irrespective of professionalism or training or anything - that's just the way it seems, like it or not.

At my age, I will accept what I'm given in the heli world and just accept the fact that A. It was my choice and B. If I don't like it, I can piss off elsewhere.

Heli pilots per se may be 'underpaid' but compared to other jobs ??????????????

I hope I don't get systematically taken apart for this mail now ....

BG

BTW, thanks Dave for your post - very inspirational and wise words too re. financial status.

In the 10 days or so that this thread has been running, I\'ve already doubled my pre-requisite ideas and questions prior to starting. I\'m re-considering where I\'m going to do the training now as well (which will go down like a lead balloon I\'m sure with HC).

More importantly, everyone bar none has given massive encoragement and that\'s very, very heartening - I really appreciate ALL the contributors taking time out to help a novice - says a lot about the people working in the industry IMHO.

It\'s a minefield starting out but I\'m far better equipped now than I was before - even the little things like ascertaining when a flying lesson \'starts\' (when does the \'hour\' commence). Such a small thing, but 15 mins in every hour over 250 hours is a lot of cash for eg. Little tips like that are priceless. On the subject of which, does anyone know how open to \'haggling\' the schools are ? If I\'m about to splash 15 grand, I want a discount for a block booking (I guess loads of schools read this too).

Any other tips ? Cheers Guys ........................

BG

(PS Thanks too to PPrune)