PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Jul 2004, 15:50
ec135driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok mate here goes, I've done it. That is I had a wad of cash (sold my house) and went off to be a helicopter pilot! You might be able to tell from my username that I made it and currently fly the best light twin helo for the best onshore company in the uk doing the best job around (duck - incoming!!!)

Here's how I did it - at 30 I went off to the States and did the full program there, private, commercial, CFI etc came back to this country, spent a shedload more cash and got all the same ratings again.

Advice? get only quality hours while training, don't fly around for the sake of flying, have an instructor with you every hour you can and make sure you practice until you can fly it with your eyes shut - I still do! (that was a joke - pax)

Get a company that will employ you as an instructor, build hours hard and fast- NEVER turn down a flight and look smart too.

Make sure you have enough hours to COMFORTABLY exceed the UK CAA minimums for the ATPL(H) Get an instrument rating too, doesn't matter that it will probably be in a single, just get the hours in.

Don't let the military "junta" here in the UK put you off, it's not rocket science and a thousand hours "dipping" in the SW approaches doesn't make you a better pilot at Silverstone GP time (more incoming!)

Apply yourself at all times to every aspect, practice, practice practice and then practice some more.

I had it tough of course - I had to persuade my wife it was a good idea! - one more thing, don't even think of making back the money you spend - it won't happen. But I haven't regreted a penny of it

Do it

p.s remember to practice