PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Jul 2004, 10:20
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have me intrigued now about the situations that were absolute 'hell'. Were they in or out of the cockpit ?

Sorry, being a bit nosey, but I have this picture conjured up in my head of a pilot heading for power lines or something ????
No no no, nothing like that! I was thinking of...

a) The course for the CPL ground exams. I really struggle with technical stuff, and I found them hard. A month's course didn't sound long; living it was. I told myself if I failed more than half first go I'd pack it in; I passed 7 out of 9 and wasn't sure if I was elated, or annoyed because that meant I had to resit two and then do the other five.

b) The instructors course. The first time I've ever not liked flying. There may still be a thread about it somewhere, if you do a search. Thinking back now, I'm not sure why I had such a hard time with it, but I did. Maybe it was just comparing myself with a 30,00 hour instructor, and realising just how little I knew about flying.

The exciting bits - flying down canyons and auto-rotating off an 8000 ft mountain with an instructor in the US, landing in a tiny clearing in the forest in Russia with a crazy ex-army instructor...that was FUN!