PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Jul 2004, 08:41
Banjo George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wise words whirlybird, wise words indeed. You have me intrigued now aboute the situations that were absolute 'hell'. Were they in or out of the cockpit ?

Sorry, being a bit nosey, but I have this picture conjured up in my head of a pilot heading for power lines or something ????

To be honest, the more one reads, the more uncertain one becomes, but I think I'm still pretty much fixed on getting the PPL(H) and then taking it from there. The BMW LT1200 touring bike will just have to wait ....

The thing that started me off again along the route to heli-flying (this is my 3rd 'attempt') was going up in a Hughes over Fjordland in NZ. Man, what a job that bloke had. In the 25 mins we waited for him, he lifted a load of hunters up into the mountains, came back and slung a small boat underneath, took someone else up into the mountains with the boat, and then took us for a flight around a frozen caldera at about 10,000ft.

I thought 'I've gotta do this, even if the pay is crap'. Of course, maybe he was bored ****less by it all, who knows .........

'ChickenHawk' by Bob Mason has influenced me quite a bit too. Great book. Anyhow, thanks again.