PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Jul 2004, 08:24
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banjo George,

Firstly, take "suggestions" from schools that they'll give you a job when you finish with a pinch of salt. They may, and who you know makes a lot of difference in this industry. But they tell a lot of people that, and it'll depend on how things are when you qualify...it may not happen; don't rely on it. Schools can't give all their students jobs, but they can get them in by implying they can.

I started off flying fixed wing. I only ever planned on doing any flying at all for fun. I went for a trial helicopter lesson for something different to do, and got totally hooked the moment I managed to hover for a few seconds. I got my PPL(H), and then couldn't bear the thought of only flying occasionally and never really getting any better. I figured if I felt that way there were only two options, since I had the cash (from a windfall, not a regenerating money tree) - do lots of flying and have nothing to show for it, or structure that flying, pass lots of exams, and maybe eventually get paid to fly. It's sort of worked, though I'll never recoup what I paid out - but that wasn't the plan. Whatever happens, I'll never regret it; it's been great - though very hard and absolute hell at times. I still fly f/w now and then, just a C150 I have a share in. By comparison with helicopters it doesn't grab me really, but it's a fun social activity, and I like touring by air. Have I ever considered it as a career? No, but if you can get an airline job (rumours of a shortage soon, but don't know if it's true) it's probably a more "sensible" option.

Not a choice anyone else can make for you. Why not get your PPL(H) and then see. You could always do that, fly helicopters for fun, and spend the rest of the cash on something else. But you might have a better idea of what you really want to do when you've done that much flying.