PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 11:52
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that many helicopter pilots assume that any other job in any other field must necessarily be sheer torture. So they cling to flying for a living as a lifeline. And no matter how bad it is, it's still "better than working for a living."

I feel sorry for those who have no other apparent talent, drive or desire - for those who derive no other pleasure in life than from flying helicopters. Sad when you think about it. How empty and shallow their existence must be if their happiness is tied to the operation of one cantankerous machine. How miserable they must be when they're out of the cockpit, out of their element. How enjoyable it must be for others to be around them...not! Ironically, some wear this personality "quirk" as a badge of honour.

Yes, flying is great, wonderful, exquisite and all that. Yes yes, we love it more than life itself. Funny though, the rest of my family and nearly all of my friends lead perfectly happy, rewarding, fulfilled, content lives and...can you believe it?! they're not pilots! So ask yourself what you would do if you lost your medical tomorrow. Would you fall into a deep depression? Would it be the end of the world? Or would you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go out there to find what ELSE life has to offer?