PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 8th Jul 2002, 14:51
almost canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since I was a wee boy, I knew I wanted to fly, so at the age of 17, I had the chance to start flying. Fixed wing of course.
For some reason I always looked up to those men in the nice suits flying the big jets. I couldn't think of a better job.
100 something hours later in a c150, I was already bored out of my mind.
Although I still enjoyed being up in the air, I knew that a carreer sitting in an expensive office at 30 something thousand feet, realy wasn't for me.
But I wanted to fly, so the switch to helicopters was made.
Best choice of my life, after that first flight I was hooked, I don't know if most of you guys remember that magical moment of your first helicopter flight, but I will never forget. (we landed in a field! in a field..., no plane could do that!)
The flying was tons of fun, although also very expensive, but hey I was going to make that back within the first year of my first job, right?
Not really, first job took 3 years to come along and just about payed the bills, but who cared, I was flying a helicopter for a living now and enjoying it.
But then I learned more about the industry, I noticed that a lot of the fling wing drivers were complaining about their wages, either just by talking to them or now by reading forums such as this one, and you know what, a lot of the negative atmosphere rubbed of. I still enjoy flying more than anything, but it's the people in the industry bitch'n about how underpaid they are, that are taking the fun out of it. Yes, with my current pay it will still take me 50 years to pay of my tuition, but who cares, I'M HAVING FUN, but just for listening to al the complaining I think I need a pay-increase.
These forums get are a great source of information, and a lot of kids that one day want to be a helicopter pilot, might consider not getting their licence because of the negativity surrounding the job, so we might be losing some really good future pilots.
Maybe a seperate forum to discuss pay would be good, so we keep al the B.S. away from this forum and just keep it about flying...
Just my 2 cents (actualy 1, rest goes to the bank).
Fire away...