PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 7th Jul 2002, 00:31
Heli-Ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B Sousa and Flare.

Why didn't you haul your a** into another profession?

I admit that I didn't read the whole thread but most of it, seems that I missed something important out?

I really have to agree with the so many helicopter drivers here who actually like their jobs. It is an affection or maybe I should say its becomes an addiction.

My job is very interesting "me thinks" tomorrow can never be expected to be like today was. F.ex. it consist of flight training, aerial photography and filming, sightseeing, geological survey, laning on top of glaciers and I can go on forever. I get a decent paycheck for what I do and that is the bottom line.

One can always question what others have contributed to society. One day I was fortunate enought to be able to show a very old woman a glacier for the very first and maybe the very last time in her life. I find that very fulfilling and like the feeling when I come home at night.

After all helicopter flying is "just" a job and of course we should get well paid. It will always be the fuel for flaming discussions about pilots wages. My theory is: if you don't like it, try something else. You can always try to figure it out why people decide to become heli pilots and stay in that job for the rest of their lives. Some people want to do it and some don't.

I believe that everyone can change carrers if they don't like their current one.

Helicopter flying is not for everyone I think and beeing a lawyer isn't either. I don't think that it is fair to call helicopter pilots "under achievers" just because they want to work in this business.

I know that many of us could have gotten a into something else but as some have said that they made the decision on becoming heli pilots and stand by their decisions. I am very happy to be a helicopter pilot, I could have done everything else but I decided not to.

Best wishes,

Heli-Ice

Ps. Bert, I don't post only to have my name in here, I just found the need to defend myself.