PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 6th Jul 2002, 17:59
Butch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would I do it again? This is such an interesting question that it actually took me back through my entire career.

I remember working in Memphis flying for $500.00 a month and no benefits. I was actually ashamed to tell my girl friends at the time how much I made as a "Helicopter Pilot". They all thought I made plenty, but then I am sure they wondered why I drove a run down second hand Volkwagon that had to be pushed off half the time because the starter only worked part time.

I remember getting married and my wife having to work so we could afford rent and groceries, but at least everyone "thought" I was a high paid helicopter pilot. Never told anyone what I made, too embarassing. Been married for 29 years now so she must not have minded too much.

I remember learning that the pilots at Ft. Rucker were making three times as much as me and had real benefits. Of course I had been married for five years when I discovered this and had a son to take care of then.

I remember getting my first paycheck at Rucker and thinking I was the richest man in town. I also remember how much those insurance benefits meant to me as a young family man with a wife and son to take care of.

I also remember discovering a few months ago that I am now making less spending money today than I was back then. I knew for some reason that even though I was getting raises on a regular basis, my money just wasn't going as far today as it did back then. Consequently I did a little research and found that even with the raises I had received, my actual spending power was being reduced by the cost of living rising faster than my wages. I figured I actually have $3,000.00 plus dollars less to spend today than I had in 1986. So basically I have been losing money in this profession for the last fourteen years.

Do I love the job? Of course I do. Would I do it again? Maybe with hindsight, if I thought I could effect changes sooner than what we have experienced so far in the profession.

Butch