PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 4th Jul 2002, 05:56
Hoverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert Sousa

All Heliport said to the Wannabee's question was
In a nutshell, the advice most commonly given on this forum is -
# Obtaining your professional licence and building enough hours to get a job costs a fortune - consider the military route where you'll get outstanding training all paid for. It's not easy to get in because the competition and standards required are very high, but most things in life worth doing involve a challenge.
# Sponsorship in the civvy world for your basic licence is virtually non-existent.
# The pay isn't as good as flying a 747 for BA, but the enjoyment and freedom of being a professional helicopter pilot makes up for a lot.
Hit the 'Search' button and see how you get on.
That's a fair summary of what people regularly say here, and what most people are saying now.

I'd do it again. The money isn't great compared with the major airlines but for me the fact that I enjoy going to work every day makes up for that. I get paid for doing somethign I love doing - to my mind that's worth big bucks itself. I'd hate going to an office every day.

It's good you put the other point of view Bert - it's made a good discussion.

Flare Dammit
Sure psychiatrists, lawyers, captains of industry etc earn a lot more. You've got to compare jobs at the same sort of level.