PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 18:31
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Bert,

To prove your point...ask any long serving Gulf of Mexico offshore pilot about how lucrative the pay has been. Get them to tell you the story of going ten years without a cost of living raise....or the Britiish pilots.....the bullcook who made my bed on the offshore rig I lived on made exactly one Pound Sterling a month less than I did.....look at some of the adverts for pilots even now....less than 4000 US per month for a 212/412 Flight Instructor and Maintenance test pilot in Saudi. Companies that offer a 6/6 schedule but want to cut your pay if you take that offer versus an 8/4 rotation. How about that wonderful Saudi gig on the Kawasaki's....barely 4000 US and a whopping 41 days leave.....or some of the grand EMS jobs flying Jetrangers at night over hostile terrain......for less than 4000 US per month.

Go fly the corporate turbo props and jets....at least you get to live in a Motel 8 with cable TV and meals provided.....even at the shoddy outfits. Aviation is not an easy life....nor will it change as long as people will do it for the sheer enjoyment it gives instead of being completely mercenary about it.

There are excellent jobs out there.....have had some....almost had others....but I have also had some real winners....each of us has to decide what it is in life we want....and then go get it. I wanted to travel and see the world....and that I have done. Now, all I want to do....is throw out the anchor....make a decent living, fly safe machines, and have some time off to enjoy my leisure actiivities.