PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Jul 2002, 20:32
StevieTerrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for my two-pence worth I think!

Before I took up commercial helicopter flying, I was working in IT. I was working contract, perhaps earning £750 / week in the early '80s. I was working about 3 months at a time, then blowing it all on hours building. I got one job working for Thames Tv (sorry about f@@@ing up the royalties payment progam, guys!!) The office I was in was located next to the Thames, and every day I watched those helis flying down the heli-routes into London. My friends who were with me at the time are now earning £1500 / week in IT, and have huge pensions when they retire. I am earning about a third of that, with no pension (oops) but the view from my office window changes every day. I would not change it for the world. The hell with the money. I am doing what I always dreamed of doing, and when I look back on my working life it will be with a smile at what I, a boy from a council estate, has (under?) acheived.

Yes, sometimes when I am in my 5th hour of pleasure flying I get a bit bored. But take a look at the big picture boys and ENJOY it. The alternatives just don't bear thinking about.

And before you ask, it cost me about £45,000. And if I had the choice again tomorrow, I would still do it.

Helicopters - if you have to make no money, what better way??