PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejected Takeoff Test A340. 3 fires one hose.
Old 26th Nov 2006, 20:21
Fbrigade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brave or not ?

The 'Sapeur Pompier' who is seen in the video is a very brave man. Would you risk everything standing under 300 odd tons of aircraft when everything that is supporting it is in flames and disintigrating in front of you? No, I thought not.

The real problem is training about such situation and positioning the fire truck at the right place.
If I am observing this video in the point of view of a "Airport firefighter" and not a " Sapeur Pompier (very brave in did)" I need to accept the fact they was simply not ready to deal with this type of action.
1. Application rate of water was wrong and this impossible to reach the right application rate with this type of hose.
2. If you want to achieve the right action you need to use a dual agent to extingusih this type of fire.
A) Use water to cool down the fire and project powder inside the water spray.
B) Coll down the brakes assembly with a water spray and never attack the fire on the side.
C) Be ready to bring a lot of water at the scene just because the discharge rate of a real water branch for airport firefighter is 450 liters per minutes
3. The poor french firefighter was not ready to deal with such fire and they are note working with the right tools.
4. The major risk in this situation is an hydraulic fire and a center tank fire just because the heat is climbing along the wheels assemblies and reaching the tanks (hydraulics and fuel)
5. And once again evacuate this big bird as soon as possible for your own safety

This type of test and videos are very usefull to remember to all of us the danger for all involved to protect the life of the crew and passengers.
The amount of post and readers are a good news to work together for safest aviation.

Be coordinate to minimize the risk for the life