PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester/Liverpool Low Level Corridor?!
Old 26th Nov 2006, 19:47
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of the traffic is also very interesting, having seen Spitfires, a P47 and the Catalina at various times in flight
Hehehe, reminds me of an incident a couple of years ago.

I was on Blackpool's frequency at the time, and my boss was ferrying the company Cessna Citation somewhere. Can't remember exactly where he was going, but it was only a short hop, and the weather was good, so he decided to go VFR to avoid airways charges.

I heard him asking Blackpool ATC if it was possible for them to co-ordinate him through Manchester's airspace, and ATC asked him to stand by (presumably while they phoned Manchester). A couple of minutes later, ATC got back to him with the message that if he was VFR, Manchester would expect him to go down the LLR.

It was a little while before I got around to asking him about it. By the time I did, he'd almost forgotten the entire incident. He looked blank for a moment or two while he recalled it, then this look of horror appeared on his face. "Oh boy, yes, I remember it now. We got tangled up with a Pitts Special doing aeros in the Barton overhead. I'm certainly not going to be going down the LLR again in the Citation for a while!"

FFF
----------------