PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Track, Perth
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2006, 14:16
JamesECU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok firstly why are you running down qualifications? Its just common sense that the more qualifications you have the more employable you are.

I am not running down FastTrack training or any other way of getting what you want, but just pointing out my point of view.

Diplomas or degrees are not needed to get a job in aviation but they sure do help. A degree is a formal tertiary qualification and will give you an advantage over any one who does not have one, within aviation or life in general.

Your understanding that you automatically get accredited with 50% of your degree after you have 2500hrs is completely incorrect!. If you have your CPL then you can get accredited for 2 units, that’s only about only half of one semesters at uni. If you have an advanced diploma then they may get accredited with the first year.

Education is never a waist!

I have m8s too who are with Skywest and Qantas as Captains and First Officers so NO I my information is not just from people at Uni.

I don’t know about the diploma course but Personally think that it is also not worth the money, but if you don’t want to do a degree then it’s the second best option. At least if you finish it then you can get some credit at university even if you don’t do aviation you can still use the diploma for other courses.

your comments regarding "not everybody who starts diploma courses actually gets a diploma" is correct!

they don't just hand out diplomas to anyone who does not finish the requirements, just like degrees, nothing worth having is easy m8, you have to work for it and then it really means something!

You stated that “airline employ in cycles which they are doing now” well if what are you saying that if I get my licence with 150hrs an airline will employ me? I really don’t think so. I think you will be struggling to get any job anywhere in Australia! With 150hrs, lets be realistic m8, don’t be silly.

You may have a job at a regional airline, I am not knocking that, even know I would not call skippers an airline!. However I would say that this was due to whom you know not what you know, or what you had to offer!

it appear that if you were the frist student fasttrack trained then wouldn’t it be great publicity to say “our students get employed with 200hrs!” realistically that don’t just happen without strings being pulled.

Yes there is huge opportunity for employment with airlines atm but not with 150hrs or 500hrs as you stated they want 2000hrs and the right type of hrs.

At the end of the day people are not silly they will look at the cost and outcomes and make a decision on what will suit them for there future. I think fasttrack maybe great for some one older who has a degree and is looking for a career change ! But to say that this course would be good for a younger person who dose not have any other qualifications is just crazy and just unfair.