PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partnavia crash at Rottnest Island
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2006, 11:25
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Appology accepted

When I write on these subjects in pprune it is based on long experience...and I absolutely stand by what I write.

It is a mistake to assume that those of us who went before had some sort of nirvana like version of GA in our day or that we all flew these aircraft when they were shiny and new...certainly I flew some shiny new aircraft in my youth...but most were as old and worn as anything you see these days. Often our maintenance was really good but sometimes it was abismal

Through 7000 hrs GA (every minute of which I loved) and 5000+ airline and corporate jet I think it is safe to say I have seen most wrinkles and more than my share of truly stupid, incompetent pilots and truly nasty, dishonest management.

No one has found a new way to crash for well over 60 years..it's just the same old ways trotted out again and again.

In have lost close to 40 friends killed in GA accidents in the 26 years I have been flying. That was why I took the attitude I took to training and to some, actually most, but not all, of the management I have experienced. I have paid a higher price than most for my approach to the responsibilities of being a trainer, checker or management pilot....to the extent that I will never again accept a management pilot position.

When not even CASA is interested in safety you just give up and do the best you can in your operation and let others worry about such things.

Every year a handful of CPs get sacked when CASA refuses to support them against missmanagement...i will never put myself, or my family, in that position again.