PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin STARs: What is Going On Up There??
Old 26th Nov 2006, 11:01
Green on, Go!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BurglarsDog
Also consider this: US Marine Cor deploy to Northern Mil base in QLD. 4 ship IFR taxi for dep. Cloudbase below MSA @ approx 1300 ' so no day visual deps allowed! SIDS based on VOR/DME only. Acft all TACAN eqpt only (F18 cheapskate Homeguard basic model no GPS / MP3 etc) so no radial info avlble. So cant legaly fly SID ( designed for civvies anyway!!!) Maybe they can - (you argue the case if you wish - we didnt have time in the TWR to consult the local Devils Avoquate!!) Therefore cant depart- what nonsense!! Or something very similar. Of course being able to outclimb any SID by about 500% means they'e got little chance of hitting any local terrain (Maggie)! In parts of Europe, IFR dep is allocated own terrain clearance cleared for dep and wished Bon chance. Has worked for the RAF for about 70 years !! Approach isssue a heading which pilot picks up when above terrain (within a few miles ) and everyone is happy!

BD, I agree, what nonsense. Below from MATS:

6.2.1.4 ATC may issue a VISUAL departure in lieu of a SID:
a. by day;
b. in VMC; and
c. provided that the cloud base is such that the pilot can maintain flight in
VMC below the MVA (ATS surveillance system environment) or MSA/LSALT (procedural environment).

6.2.1.5 Tracking Instructions shall be specified when:
a. SIDS are not published; or
b. a SID is cancelled; or
c. a visual departure clearance is issued in VMC by day in lieu of a SID; or
d. aircraft or ground based navigation aid(s) are not available.

My bolding. Based on that, I'm pretty sure they could have departed. It's been in MATS for years too...