PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Global Search for ATCs
Old 26th Nov 2006, 09:32
Funk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobzalp
To be fair, you compare to the ASA rostering to the ME and a 6 on 3 off with 2 back to back nights every cycle is something that would specifically stop me from applying to go. Even TOPS in BN has a better run and they do the most doggos. I wonder what FAID would say with that run? (not that faid is worth a pinch of ****).
Having just recently escaped/booted out of Tops (No-Radar Procedureal/Oceanic Airspace + Darwin arrivals for those foreigners not familiar with BN) after nearly five years there I can't remember working a steady roster for longer than 3 months. We were constantly asked to accommodate poor rostering because of the constant changes to airspace, procedures, training and staff shortages. In defence of ANSA (not that he needs defending) I too prefer the MMAANNROOO (with every third one being a single day break) roster compared to fatigue riddled rosters on Tops.
I had one of the lower sick leave usuages in the group of about 6 days a year (avg in the group 10+), since being here in the pit I have had only 1 day off, I guess it is due to the fact that I am no where near as tired. By day 3 of the EAMN or EDMM or EAMNN with 2 (or 3 days after double night shift) off on Tops I was so cranky and tired my kids and dogs would be avoiding me. Additionally there was still no rostered breaks on the busier night shifts on Tops and Ocean which I enjoy here.
The reality is for those folks going to BN centre is that you will more than likely end up on night shift rich enviroment of Ocean or Tops than the friendly 'climes' of sunny Byron (daylight) radar group.

As for FAID I distinctly recall that nonsense program telling a manager that one of the Tops guys would be less fatigued if he came in for another night shift (third in a row)!