PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Global Search for ATCs
Old 26th Nov 2006, 01:21
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The condascending tone of your reply is really appreciated DP. As I said in my post though, things still aren't great. As you said in your post, guys still do the morning doggo turnaround, and they still do 8pm finishes, back for 6am starts. I never said guys are forced to do 10 on 1 off, and as you said if your FAID is above 80 you can't be forced to come in at all. I said guys sometimes need to be protected from themselves, which means having regulations that don't allow them to come in when they haven't had adequate breaks. And also you say I am out of touch by pointing out that you often are required to have two people on a night shift. Nowhere in my post did I say that you had single manned nightshifts??!!??

It shows how out of touch you are with the rest of the world if you think the rostering examples you gave show that Australian rosters are good to work. As I said to the guys considering going to Australia, and supported by your post, you will do quick turnarounds and as a result be fatigued and not see your family for days at a time. But hey if you think by me pointing this out makes me a cowboy, then fair enough. I just thought I was giving guys a heads up as to one of the big reasons there are a lot of Australian controllers now working overseas. That and whopping income tax.

As I have said to the non-Aussies working here, who are seriously looking at Oz ATC, there are a lot of positives to working in Oz. Firstly as we all know, it is a great country in which to live. But also I pointed out the facilities at the centres, eg. the cafeteria, gymnasium, pay tv, standdown rooms with proper beds etc. In addition to those points if they are able to start on about 100k as the advertisement says, then relative to the rest of Australians they will be making a good salary, and if they have a decent nest egg saved from their time in the sand pit, and can buy a house without a mortgage when they arrive in Melbourne or Brisbane, then that 100k will go a long way to having a great lifestyle. But along with the positives, you need to make sure the guys are aware of the negatives.

Last edited by AirNoServicesAustralia; 26th Nov 2006 at 02:21. Reason: Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble.