PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown (or fly) the Huey?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2006, 10:05
Doors Off

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Helmet Fire

Maaate! Put away the justified frontal protruding canon from your trousers with respect to the Huey AFS capability. Yes, a lovely respectable aircraft. A magnificient aircraft 40 years ago. Rolling in, heading down straight at the target area, Mini-guns, 2.75's, mini-guns, break, door guns, was a real hoot. Loved it! But we need to get real with respect to that being a capability in comparison to what is available and what has been purchased.
Obviously you and I were at a different High Range, I think yours was a little 'HIGHER' than mine. The Sound of Freedom platform beating the Tiger in the air to air engagement, NUP! Did not happen. Sounds good though, Nicholas Cage in Firebirds with the help of George Lucas special effects could have achieved it, that is about as real as that scenario gets.
I agree with you on a lot of other things, great to see that the Tiger is here, the AAAvn capability is moving forward. Great to see. It may be moving slowly, but it is moving. That is a huge step forward. Every nation that has introduced such a level of technology and jump in capability has had it's problems. Eventually, it works out.
As for Timor, the AFS excuse for a capability at the time was not required for political and tactical reasons. With hindsight the AFS element was not required and would not have aided in achieving the mission.
By the way, exposing yourself unecessarily to stare at the enemies eyes in a 30 degree descent to close within 800metres of said bad guy with modified RPG's, 12.7mm, dragunov, Barret .50 in a very clever helicopter ambush should be left for books. In reality, when Abdullah and Nooradim and his mates want to kill you, you really need off axis capability.
Anyway, some great points mate. Beers and chat expand the mind.