PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthma Problems with Class 1 Medical
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2006, 12:49
Shaft109

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JAA Class 1 Asthma

To confirm Ventolin and Seretide are allowed by the CAA for Class 1 meds. Before I went down to Gatwick I began generally fitness training with some cardio just to give myself that boost.

Also I went to my local surgury and the nurse allowed me to practice on a spirometer and see the graphs it produced, as well as the readings themselves. The shape of graph is important as asthma can produce a distinctive flat curve, where the line doesn't climb quickly enough (as per FEV-1) indeed the army I believe look for this shape to make sure people who say they don't have asthma really don't!

Although slightly short on outright peak flow, my FEV -1 was above 73% and the graph climbed very steeply upto the peak flow, then followed the predicted curve down but slightly below it, in essence just from looking at the graph you wouldn't be able to tell.

In short get fit, stay fit and takes you inhalers PROPERLY. The correct technique is important. Aslo practice for the peak flow exhale, picture what squeezing a hosepipe will do the the water stream (it squirts out faster benoulli principle in action) so try and do the same thing with your mouth.

Shaft