PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 25th Nov 2006, 12:17
Lite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GroundBunnie
Dear Borat
Your concern for the ground handling staff at BRS will not go unappreciated. Thanks from me, one of the CSMs, and thanks from the rest of the team at BRS.
At a meeting between Big Jim and the BACON staff reps at EXT 2 Thursdays ago, he said Flybe would not require any BACON ground handling at BRS. There have been comments further back in this thread about 50/60/70% of staff at BHX/MAN/EDI/GLA losing their jobs, but at BRS it will be 100%, including me. The initial state of shock has just about worn off, but it's becoming a real problem to keep everyone going. What will happen in the next few weeks is that the CS staff here will be leaving as and when they can. Most have little service, and waiting for a couple of hundred quid in redundancy money will not be enough to keep them from 'taking the orange'. I've started to have a recurring nightmare that I'll get into work at 0500 one morning and be the only one there. Obviously, we're not going to be recruiting, and our ability to handle the schedule, plus the 4 other airlines we handle 3rd party, will decline in the new year. All of you who are BRS based, or fly in and out of BRS, may find me on the flight deck telling you we've only managed to check-in half the passengers, and do you want to wait until we've finished, or go now. Also a request to be kind to your dispatcher, none of them currently will have a job in March.
Rgds GroundBunnie
Ground Bunnie, I'm very sorry to hear about your predicament, and that of other BA Connect ground staff at other bases. Is there another ground handling agent at Bristol, or is it only Servisair? There seems to be a recurring fear for ground staff I've spoken to at BHX that they'll end up back with a handling agent, which is fair enough considering that some probably started off as a CSA with a company like us (Servisair). Surely a monopoly at an airport the size of BRS can be broken with a new handling agent offering more jobs even if it's without the BA benefits.