PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Shortage?
Thread: Pilot Shortage?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2006, 10:23
zooloflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Situation in Belgium & FR

There are indeed big changes ahead, at least here in Belgium.

From what I know about 80-90 ab initio candidates with valid licences were available last summer of which 45 will go to Brussels Airlines in the coming 6 months!, 15 to the ex Virgin, some at DHL/EAT, VLM is also short of pilots and prefers now to hire over contract pilots and Thomas Cook/TUI will also be taking in some 20 pilots or more, TUI seems to be looking for candidates without even MCC now as they found close to 0 candidates for the SSTR
As far as I know not too many new people in training for the moment with the high cost of training - +100k€ and the uncertainty of what will come in 2 years...
TNT Liege is another story - they stopped recruitment after the 737 incident 6 months or so ago, published on Flight Int for a few weeks looking for experienced capt/FO, apparently without success as they are starting to call all candidates from this week of whom most are already committed.

I experienced the FR recruitment too and although there are still enough candidates to start the SSTR - the myth of the database with 1000's of pilots is definitly out of the door as many candidates for the interview were there after a call only a few days before sim eval day. MOL is definitly wrong in his NY investor presentation stating the supply is and will remain unlimited - I guess many airines will have to start cadet programs in the very near future or the shortage will become a threat to their forecasted growth.

Good for the pilots and the general conditions - finally.