PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 24th Nov 2006, 15:48
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velboy,

Sorry I don't agree. My comments aren't harsh, they're a realistic honest opinion on the current state of the industry in the UK for low hours guys. A touch cynical I concede but I've self funded nowt to CPL-FI- and ME IR and therefore feel I am qualified to comment upon my experiences and those of others I know.

Perhaps as a CPL holder you'd care to elaborate on how much revenue flying you complete? Do you fund your own LPC's and base and line checks? Care to elaborate on your own profiles comment of 'Computer consultant wanting to fly'? Or why other posts of yours ask for people willing to share hours building costs? No point implying a straight CPL will get you work, when you feel you need to self fund extra hours yourself.

This ISN'T an attack. It's a reality check that will allow FBR to decide how much he is willing to gamble in order to 'live his dream'. Perhaps FBR has no extra cash for any additional training and no other trade upon which to gain an income........

Did this CFi tell you how much an FI course with him would cost? How many hours per year you'd fly? Why do they need three instructors in November? Can any school guarantee you a position post course? (Ok now I'm bordering on cynical - but there are lots of additional factors to consider. Remember a flying schools job is to sell you training NOT employment!)

My views are only there to enable FBR to make an informed decision before he parts with some serious amounts of cash. And I hasten to add similar views have been noted on this forum for some time. Sections of this industry survive on the willingness of low hours guys to keep paying for stuff themselves and/or work for free. A mornings phoning round will elicit the turn over of new FI's (at some schools) and the terms and conditions offered. If you still don't believe me I'll give you the numbers of a few current experienced FI's and you can hear their views first hand. As a former one myself I have nothing but respect for the vast majority of FI's - they work harder for less than any other section of this industry I have encountered.

I'm not saying FBR or anybody else for that matter shouldn't go for it. But, better to know the risks and approach 'the dream' with your eyes wide open rather than listen to sales hype.

Within many schools a 'dead mans shoes' policy exists. When somebody above you moves on, you make progress. For small operators many aren't willing to allow all to progress simultaneously. It's harsh, but hey that's life.

I don't regret any of my flying. I regret some of the places I've worked though and some of the rubbish I've had to tolerate in order to make progress. I am also lucky in that I now have a very good flying job, with an excellent company.

Being qualified, enthusiastic and personable are all good traits, but ultimately LUCK remains the biggest factor. I was lucky. Are you going to guarantee FBR the same?

FW

Last edited by Flingingwings; 24th Nov 2006 at 16:11.