PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejected Takeoff Test A340. 3 fires one hose.
Old 24th Nov 2006, 15:45
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABX, I'm more than willing to wave the wooden spoon if I so deserve it. I only fly the darned things and hopefully will never have to try and get out of one with flames coming from anywhere.

I still believe that there are some very amateur spotters who don't have any credentials, airline pilot or firefighter, who jump in with observations that do deserve the biggest wooden spoon. As was mentioned, we don't see what the firefighters at the rear of the a/c are doing. However, the chap we see with the dribbling hose is either very stupid or very brave, whether or not he was doing the right thing.

Standing under the a/c whilst wheels are exploding, whether the landing gear is going to be affected or not, must have an effect on ones perception of the world around you. 200 or 300 or whatever tons of airliner suddenly dropping 4, 5, 6 or 10 inches towards your head should have an effect on any normal humans sense of wellbeing.

No doubt Gallic passions and excitement were at play during the unfolding scenario and thankfully no one was physically hurt although there are probably some badly bruised egos. I still think the lone firefighter was brave even if he wasn't supposed to be there. Rather him than me.