PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay A380
Thread: Cathay A380
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 12:18
Zeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boofta
Cathay also had an inordinate amount of problems introducing the A330, lots of engine problems.
If the Airbus product is so excellent, why is it 2 years late?
Engine problems are not airframes problems. If you remember back to the early classic days, you would recall the number of hot starts, stalls, surges ? Do you remember the early 744 days when we had to power down the whole aircraft to reset it ?

The large HKG operator has had numerous engine problems over various fleets, past and present, not so long ago we saw many a 777 sitting around HKG without any engines awaiting a fix.

The type of floors in the aircraft are an option, you pay for what you get. QF had the same problem, the opted for low strength floors, and then found out they could not install their seats. The airline received exactly what it wanted, you pay for what you get.

Airbus have had an almighty production stuff up on the 380, I didn’t say the were excellent, just the best that is on the market at the moment, same with the 330, better than a 767 for range/payload/economy.

Originally Posted by CMOTDibler
CX did not need another two A330's but did a deal with Airbus to keep the A380 price down and options open.
One wonders that if Boeing had the -800 pax version ready to go right now, how many airlines would have ditched thier 380 orders and just taken that well proven path instead.
They want to increase frequencies, I don’t see how they cannot do it without more airframes, unless you are counting on KA.
The SQ experience with the 748 was that after putting in the new interior into the 748, they get the same number of pax as the current 744. No growth.

Despite being available officially and unofficially for many years now, no airline has ordered a 748 for airline service, only orders I am aware of are for cargo and VIP.

Originally Posted by sizematters
yes and with maybe 50 people on board it is an impressive demonstration of the machines capabilities
More like a few people and 50-60t of water ballast, they are not flying them empty. Did you see inside the route proving aircraft when it visited HKG ?
I think your info is rather old, QF and SQ have recently increased their orders based upon the actual aircraft performance.