PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 11:05
-8AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the true benefits of joining Ryanair is the security of the Company. As has been illuded to in this thread, aviaton is ficle and events such as September 11 and SARs cause major problems for the pilot work force in general. After Sept 11, Virgin laid off 100 new joiners, Aer Lingus all their Cadets, Air New Zealand stopped recruitment and nearly went belly up, Cathay put pilots on unpaid leave etc etc. Ryanair RECRUITED during this period - all the Aer Lingus Cadets bar one or two joined FR. I am not saying FR are immune to such events but due to their margins and Cash reserves they are much better suited to weather such storms. (Ryanair has posted a profit every quarter for over 11 years).

Thus, Cadets who are offered courses with CAE and SAS are almost guaranteed (probably to strong a word) jobs with FR. I only know of an isolated few who have not met the required standard during line training or Sim.

Further, for a low houred Cadet, career progression could not be better. You won't progress any faster in any other company worldwide.

So, if you are considering joining do make yourself aware of all the pit falls, but also weigh up the advantages. Especially if you are decideing between FR and an SSTR with no job guarantee. I know what I would be doing.