PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NewShedule of Fines/Penalties for Dubai Roadusers
Old 24th Nov 2006, 10:33
BurglarsDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Adventure TV game ; Dubai - Survive the drive !! Would look good on a T shirt! And No we didnt! Both myself and a German colleague had at least one accident and a near fatal during our relatively short time behind the wheel of our 1.3 Mazda hire cars (No match for a landcruiser)

A while back, whilst working at a very nice college just across the road from The Irish Village in Dubai, I was teaching a bunch of young mil ATCguys who had to commute daily from Abu Dhabi! Their attendance was to say the least erratic, but, despite the distance, some of them attended class some of the time - so all good. One fine day one of the more conscientious students came in about 30 mins late and apologised profusly saying that another students uncle had died in Abu Dhabi and that he had had to run him home - as you do for a mate in distress. I asked him what time he had left to which he replied 6am - it was only 8.30am! Bearing in mind that its about a 400km round trip with a 100-110 limit I thought "Bulls*it" or he must have got his maths a bit f*c*ed up. But on closer examination and much to the amusement of the class he went on to explain that if you drove "Velly Velly quick" right up against the edge of the inside lane you would pass the camera before it had time to focus and snap you!! The guys thought nothing of this! Didnt everyone? He was reasonably well to do and when asked what his car was I was informed BMW740i; brand spankers of course. Not bad for a lad of about 24!! As an aside he did mention that his dad was very high up in the secret police and that whenever he was caught he just showed his family ID and it was " No problemmmo!"

Despite the dodgy driving I always enjoyed the view along Sheik Zayed Road . Bit like being in a surburban Formula One and a wonder of the modern world!!

DogGone

Last edited by BurglarsDog; 24th Nov 2006 at 10:35. Reason: spellink