PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND
Thread: SOUTHEND
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 08:07
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by approach24
I've been told by 2 seperate (well placed) sources that the airport authorities are considering laying a completley new runway ( I assume parrallel to the existing runway ).
A very appealing prospect of course, but I don't see how it would work.

Presumably the idea would be to move the runway South to eliminate the intrusion of Eastwoodbury church into the Runway Strip Width if this were to be extended somewhat. The problem there is that the housing estate (Avro Road is it?) then intrudes into the 'new' Strip Width. The simple fact is that there is not the clear 300m width needed between the church and the housing.

The only real scope for improvement would seem to be the diversion of Eastwoodbury Lane so that the 06 threshold would no longer need to be displaced (adding some 110m to LDA on 06) and allowing a Starter Extension of up to 150m to be constructed for 06.
At the same time extending the existing Strip Width by just 35m (taking it up to the church wall and necessitating the laying flat of some gravestones), would take the church out of the Clearway cone, give an increase of TODA on 24 of some 140m, possibly more.

Thus, the new distances would be something in the order of:

06 TODA 1694 LDA 1395
24 TODA 1731 LDA 1459

Quite worthwhile increases on the current situation, so perhaps there is some mileage in trying to achieve those changes.

Last edited by Expressflight; 24th Nov 2006 at 08:14. Reason: My lousy maths!