PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK security & a woman's handbag
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 05:28
Gerontocrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Jenvey
<<<< "Clearly a man who wrote the regulations!" >>>>

Someone, somewhere (or a committee, or some other beaucratic group of idiots, national, or international) decided that 100 ml containers of liquids/gels in a plastic bag would not contribute to a explosion or other serious damage to aircraft.

So, who, why, where (& when)?? Yeah, I know, "national security threat" - can't tell you! Rubbish!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sensible security measures when applied properly. As I understood it, the boffins decided that you needed more than 100ml of any given component. Fine.
However, it seems they then gave this information to whoever drafted the regulation: and whoever that was had failed their 11+ Verbal Reasoning and Common Entrance Maths (their understanding of volumes was, shall we say, limited!).
BTW, the long-haired CO also had two, nicely wrapped 970g Christmas Puddings and two jars of mincemeat (still in their security wrap with security seal in place). The two jars were binned by security (no doubt to be retrieved later), but the puds got through. Go figure, as they say.