PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 777-200 ex-BA to be broken up
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 04:32
flyguy37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[
I don't know all the numbers exactly but after the demise of Varig the aircraft(s) (forgot to mention we bought two of them) did sit for several months and the aircraft is in overall average condition. The owners were very desperate to cut their losses and realized to get the airplane back into service shape would take way too long and too much money. They needed fast cash and that is what they got. The whole deal occured in less than two months start to finish which is amazingly quick considering the world of asset management. All the documentation is there. GE and Boeing are both very upset about the situation due to the effects of the aftermarket caused by a teardown and believe me Universal looked into several lease options (which they do often with aircraft prior to teardown) but none would make the money that a teardown would (the other aircraft is to be leased if I heard correctly) I have heard rumors of purchase price in the low 30 million range USD and the engines, APU and gear have fetched 20ish million alone. The aircraft is to be flown into Arkansas USA in the next month to commence the teardown. As far as the MD-11 I imagine that its compatibility with the DC-10s (which several we have torn down) make the parts a little easier to come by. These 777 are the 200s which are not useful for ocean crossings and can not be converted economically to increase range.