PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major mistakes with minor consequences
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 22:37
Ratshit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major mistakes with minor consequences

In another thread, in relation to a wheels up landing, someone wrote -

"I think its more of a minor mistake with major consequences".

Got me thinking about Major Mistakes that have had Minor Consequences.

Care to share your some of your aviation f*ck-up experiences?

I'll "show you mine first" to kick the ball off!

Three in 30 years (1 in every 10? - except they all occurred in the first 15 years of my flying career).

1) 100 hrs PIC: After a high stress flight in a PA32 (bad weather and radio problems) I found myself having to "go around" from short final at YBAF due traffic. As I turned X-wind, the engine stopped cause I had missed my downwind checks and drained a tank (1 of 4) dry. They say the engine will surge first - WRONG! Quick run through the emergency drill had it restarted ASAP and none of the pax realised that something was amiss! Maybe helps if you instantly realise how you have f*cked up! Probably would have made it back onto the aerodrome regardless.

2) 500 hrs PIC: Landed down wind onto a short strip in a C185 - would have run off the end if I hadn't ground looped it (right in front of the owner!) - no damage to anything other than my pride.

3) 1000 hrs PIC: Landed a C402 load of freight at a country aerodrome to pick up some more parcels. Took off with full flap extended. Man did that 402 get off the ground in a hurry - like it had an elevator under it. Bled the flap off and went on my merry way! Prefer not to think about what the outcome would have been had I lost a donk?

Cheers

R